So that you’ve completed your first podcast episode and now you’re able to launch it to the world. The issue—listeners aren’t going to stumble alongside and discover your podcast prefer it’s 2007. The answer is to create a strong digital advertising technique in your podcast launch.
Right here at Foundr we’ve launched and grown 2 profitable podcasts that garner 100,000+ downloads. How’d we do it? Learn our podcast advertising recommendation and get your present within the ears of your future followers.
5 Methods for Podcast Advertising and marketing
Getting the phrase out about your new podcast can take many types, however the most effective place to begin with podcast advertising is to search for the place your present clients, followers, and viewers are spending their time.
Don’t have an energetic following but? Begin with your folks, household, or business colleagues. Take into consideration your audience and why they need to take heed to your podcast.
Listed below are some inquiries to ask to make your podcast advertising technique efficient:
Now that you simply’ve thought of the place your online business, model, and platforms stand, it’s time to market your podcast to potential listeners.
#1: Promote Your Podcast with Video
The strains between audio and video mediums have blurred as a result of acceptance of video conferencing and distant software program instruments. Happily, this evolution has made it simpler than ever to advertise a podcast utilizing the ability of video.
Video is among the strongest methods to have interaction an viewers on social media, making it important to include in your podcast advertising. Begin easy by pulling a 30-second snippet of an episode with subtitles and graphics which you can promote on Instagram or TikTok.
If you wish to improve your podcast advertising with video, report your episodes concurrently on video and add them as clips or full episodes to YouTube (like this podcast episode from Tifo). Some podcasts simulcast reside on platforms like Twitch or Fb Reside.
Fortunately you don’t want to rent a full manufacturing staff to advertise your podcast utilizing video. Listed below are instruments to include video into your podcast advertising technique:
We report all our interviews for the Foundr Podcast and From Zero to Foundr Podcast. Then we pull quick clips and share them throughout our social channels. We’ve seen a lot success from these movies that we began a brand new channel referred to as Foundr Tales devoted to sharing full-length video variations of the podcasts.
Including the technical challenges of video could seem to be pointless work to your podcast manufacturing—you might need even began a podcast to keep away from investing in video—however new instruments are making it simpler than ever to market your podcast utilizing video. Begin small, check, study, and develop your video promos alongside your podcast.
#2: Get a Podcast Visitor, Be a Podcast Visitor
In case your podcast has friends or interviews, you’re already constructing advertising into the present’s technique. Touchdown a well-liked visitor can immediately convey your podcast recognition and standing. Heck, that technique kicked off foundr within the first place (watch the complete story under). Friends additionally convey their followers to your present, gaining publicity in a reciprocity relationship.
However you don’t must land Richard Bronson in your first interview to achieve success. There could also be a visitor in your area of interest business described because the “Bronson of [insert your industry].” Your podcast’s attain will develop when you have got constant friends that present worth to your viewers and herald new listeners.
Make it straightforward in your friends to share their look on the podcast by offering promo belongings, social handles, and social copy templates. Under is a template we use when following up with friends:
Hello [insert name talent or talent contact], thanks for showing as a visitor on our podcast. I wished to let you recognize that the episode is now reside on our channels.
In an effort to increase the attain and influence of the content material, are you able to share the hyperlink(s) under in your social channels and tag us?
Podcast episode: [Insert Link]
[Insert social media handles]
Undecided how one can promote the content material you’re featured in? [Try our posting templates].
Thanks once more for partnering with us on the podcast!
Reserving friends aren’t the one solution to enhance your podcast advertising—why not be a visitor your self?
Matchmaker.fm is sort of a courting app for podcasters. You’ll find friends or be a visitor on a podcast and embody the subjects related to your podcast/experience for a top quality match. And similar to a courting app, it’s important to optimize your profile to place your finest self ahead; in any other case, you’ll be caught on a metaphorical “dangerous date,” besides this time, it is going to be recorded.
By reserving high quality friends and being a top quality visitor, you’ll begin constructing a podcast group that may increase your viewers, attain, and entice new markets. You may even make a pal or two.
#3: Set up a Constant Social Presence
Beginning a podcast isn’t a one-medium challenge. You’re establishing a brand new product, so deal with it with equal care. Advertising and marketing the discharge of your podcast shall be thrilling in your model and viewers, however don’t lose momentum. Like several channel, you should persistently promote the podcast and episodes as a result of not each single individual that follows your model will subscribe (or hear) to your podcast.
For many of you, advertising your podcast will happen throughout your already established model or enterprise channels. Ensure every podcast episode is posted on Fb, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter TikTok, and so on. Construct this into your social media technique and experiment with social adverts when you’re trying to attain new listeners.
In some instances, it could be simpler to individually create social accounts (or perhaps a web site) in your podcast. This transfer might be dangerous as a result of it would compete together with your private model or enterprise. Listed below are some causes to ascertain your podcast’s personal social channels:
- Your podcast isn’t related to your online business or private model
- Your content material from the podcast is unique to the channel
- You need to differentiate your podcast viewers from your online business viewers
- Your podcast viewers measurement is giant sufficient to have a separate platform for information, information, and dialogue
- You need to put your podcast behind a paywall
Podcast advertising on social media takes as a lot effort and self-discipline as producing a podcast. However don’t be discouraged. Make a plan, create templates, schedule content material, and work forward. You’ll be shocked how your podcast and social media development can complement one another.
Learn extra: Promote on Fb for Social Media Newcomers
#4: Begin an E mail Publication for Your Listeners
E mail newsletters are coming again (or did they ever go away) as an efficient and free solution to attain clients. Incorporate your podcast advertising in your subsequent electronic mail publication. Create an icon selling every episode or a quote from a current interview.
If you have already got an established electronic mail checklist (or don’t have one but), give your viewers a chance to opt-in to a podcast-specific publication that features the next:
- New episode alerts
- Merchandise hyperlinks
- Content material “from the archives”
- Episode notes and hyperlinks to visuals
- Teaser concerning the subsequent visitor or episode
- Transcriptions from the interviews
- Promotion of social channels
- Methods listeners can get entangled
E mail newsletters are a strong (and invasive) channel to market your podcast. Make sure you’re offering visible worth to your audio followers and never simply including to their unread inbox.
#5: Construct an Interactive Community
Podcast advertising is all about making a community of listeners that do extra than simply press play. Constructing a two-way relationship takes a podcast from a platform to a valued property.
When you’ve constructed up a stable cadence of episodes and listeners, attain out to get them concerned. Listed below are methods to make your podcast an interactive community of followers:
- Put Your Viewers within the Present: Ask your listeners to share tales, concepts, or suggestions for future episodes. Create a call-in line utilizing instruments like Speakpipe or create an electronic mail inbox particularly for listeners. Folks like to be heard, and it may create loyal listeners for years. Plus, a mailbag or call-in episode is ideal for producing extra content material once you’re working low on concepts or have to take every week off.
- Incentivize Rankings and Opinions: Each podcast has to plead with its listeners to fee and assessment the present on their most well-liked podcast app. However why not make it price their whereas? Enter every reviewer into sweepstakes or learn the evaluations in your present to encourage suggestions.
- Declare Your Present: An increasing number of podcast aggregators and apps pop up like Podchaser. Just be sure you declare your present throughout apps and rising audio apps.
- Construct a Neighborhood Platform: One of many challenges of podcasting is which you can’t actively work together with followers like YouTube or Twitch. Making a Discord, Fb Group, or Patreon in your podcast will help manage your ambiguous listeners right into a group of followers.
- Add Common Contributors: In case you have a well-liked common visitor, why not make them a contributor to the podcast? For instance, The Jurassic Park Podcast, Small Beans, and The Whole Soccer Present are podcasts the place totally different contributors fill episode slots on particular subjects. Basically you’re making a mini-network inside one podcast feed. By including contributors, you possibly can enhance your content material output, increase your viewers, and share possession of your podcast.
- Begin a Spinoff Podcast: We don’t advise this till you’ve established a constant and standard podcast. Beginning a derivative podcast would be the results of your podcast advertising success. At this level, your present has a robust sufficient following that wishes extra content material and/or searching for a special theme, type, or host. We began the From Zero to Foundr Podcast to share tales of up-and-coming founders with our viewers to allow them to study real-time recommendation from their friends.
Develop Your Podcast Advertising and marketing Expertise
Just like the medium itself, podcast advertising continues to be in its infancy with room for experimentation, development, and creativity.
Go to our catalog of free advertising programs that may educate you other ways to increase your podcast’s attain. From Instagram to YouTube adverts, our instructors will share their confirmed advertising methods to succeed in audiences and develop your companies.