To begin with I wish to briefly clarify Microsoft Energy BI Designer. Then we’ll see how simple we are able to create a report utilizing designer. I’ll use Journey Works DW database because the supply database.
Microsoft Energy BI Designer is principally an integration of Energy Question and Energy View. Saying that the device remains to be a preview model and it’s NOT truly a launched product we’ll anticipate to see extra options when it’s launched. Some options like PowerPivot fashions anticipated to be accessible to the discharge model. For the time being PowerPivot fashions are usually not accessible within the designer, however, hopefully Microsoft will add it to the device. So I added an concept into BI in SQL vNext as I consider it could be nice to have PowerPivot functionalities included within the launch model of the product. We’ll see what occurs.
Let’s take a look on the device. On the first look, I wish to say it’s a tremendous device integrating a number of superior options all along with ease of use. It’s so enjoyable to make use of the device to create very efficient and flashy studies in a brief period of time. To begin with you might want to obtain the designer from right here. Set up the designer and open it. I’ll use AdventureWorksDW2012 because the supply database.
Open the Microsoft Energy BI Designer Preview. If you wish to get extra accustomed to the device click on on the movies on the startup display screen.
· To hook up with SQL Server click on on “Get Knowledge” or “New Supply”
· As you possibly can see there are many different information sources accessible to connect with. In our pattern we have to hook up with SQL Server. So, click on on “SQL Server Database” from the checklist. Then click on join.
· Key within the server identify and database identify and click on OK
· Click on Join
· Now you must see a listing of tables and views within the navigator. Should you can’t, be sure to have entry to browse the database and choose the objects.
· On this pattern we need to create some studies for “Web gross sales”, so we choose all associated objects. No matter you possibly can see within the following database diagram must be chosen from the navigator checklist:
· Merely tick all wanted tables then click on load
· Drag “SalesAmount” from fields checklist and drop it in the course of the designer
· You’ll have the “SalesAmount” diagram in the course of the report
· Now drag and drop “SalesTerritoryCountry” from the “DimSalesTerritory” on the center of the created diagram
· Now you’ve gotten a diagram exhibiting SalesAmount by SalesTerritoryCountry
· As you possibly can see SalesAmount mechanically moved to Worth part and SalesTerritoryCountry moved to Axis part
· Click on on the “Change visualisation sort” and click on on the map to see the SalesAmount by SalesTerritoryCountry on the map
· If you hover over a rustic you possibly can see the gross sales quantity for that particular nation
· Now we need to create a brand new diagram to point out yearly gross sales quantity. To take action you simply want to pull and drop “SalesAmount” from FactInternetSales and “CalendarYear” from DimDate similar to what we did befor.
· Now we need to add a brand new web page to the report. To take action, simply click on on the “New Web page” button
· Now we are able to drag and drop “SalesAmount” from FactInternetSales and “EnglishProductCategoryName” to the web page to create one other diagram.
As you see it’s very easy to make use of the device to create a number of visualisations in a short while.
Within the subsequent articles of this sequence I’ll clarify learn how to use the device to create extra skilled studies.